Mental Health and Addictions

With approximately 20% of Canadians experiencing a mental illness during their lifetime, and the remaining 80% affected by an illness in family members, friends or colleagues, a continuing focus on those with mental health and addiction issues is paramount.
 TAG MHA English

Mental Health and Addictions Priority Population

Of particular focus are the most vulnerable, with the highest personal risk and facing the greatest challenges in obtaining appropriate care:

  • persons with concurrent disorders and/or physical disabilities;
  • persons with Dual Diagnosis or those with a developmental disability and a mental health and/or addictions issue;
  • persons who identify as LGBTQ+;
  • persons who are marginalized and socially isolated;
  • seniors with complex medical and social needs;
  • persons with addictions, including expectant mothers;
  • Indigenous Peoples; and,
  • Adolescents, school-aged and transitional-aged youth migrating from the youth to adult system.

Accessing Services

Visit the Central East LHIN Healthline or Connex Ontario to learn more about organizations and services that can assist if you believe you or your loved one has a mental illness:

Mental Health and Addictions Priority Projects 

The following are a number of mental health and addictions priority projects and investments which have contributed to and will continue to contribute to Mental Health and Addictions supports for residents:

Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence

  • Led by Ontario Health, the Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence will support Ontario in building a comprehensive and connected mental health and addictions system.
  • A Central East LHIN-wide strategy for coordinated access has been developed and shared with the Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence.

Central East Local Health Integration Network Opioid Strategy 

  • Report developed through the dedicated work of an Opioid Strategy Action Group of the Central East LHIN
  • based on the Four Pillar model of Prevention; Treatment; Harm Reduction; and, Enforcement and contains recommendations that build on recent investments by the Central East LHIN to help people impacted by opioid addiction and overdose

Quality Improvement based processes for Assertive Community Treatment Teams (ACTT Together Project)

  • supporting a recovery philosophy and based on clinical best practices, a Step Down model of care allows people to transition to less intensive treatment and free up capacity for those requiring regular ACTT coverage

Housing

  • new and innovative models and partnerships between tertiary care and community based Mental Health providers has created a Hub model that provides housing and supports required to maintain residency in the community
  • the Harm Reduction, Addictions Supportive Housing Model, (ASH) has provided many homeless and/ or precariously housed people across the LHIN with housing and supports tailored to specific need

Mental Health Physician Lead

  • establishment of a MHA Physician Lead has supported the implementation of mental health and addictions priorities and engagement of psychiatrists and other physicians throughout the Central East and the province

Hospital to Home Initiative

  • community teams based in all Schedule 1 Hospitals, provide a range of services (e.g., case management, including dedicated resources for Community Treatment Order (CTO) program, and crisis placement) resulting in significant reductions in unscheduled return visits for MHA patients

Peer-led Services

  • integration of peer-led services in both the Durham and North East Clusters has directed more resources to front-line services and established a strong peer support network across the LHIN, including increasing the availability of peer and vocational support services
  • Peer Support Hub was established in West Durham providing an integrated access point to services and supports

Learn More

To track the system's ongoing progress please visit the Central East LHIN Performance page.

For more information, please contact the LHIN at centraleast@lhins.on.ca or any LHIN-funded Health Service Provider